Sibuyan Island (the original) | The Battle of the Sibuyan Sea
The Battle of the Sibuyan Sea

Logo - The Battle of the Sibuyan Sea
Musashi and the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea

The Battle of the Sibuyan Sea

Every year, on October 24 Sibuyan Island celebrates the commemoration of "The Battle of the Sibuyan Sea".

Sibuyan Island was the place of one of the last bombing of Japans biggest and heaviest Battleships... The Yamato and the Musashi.

The story behind:
Commissioned in the summer of 1942, Musashi, sister ship to Yamato, was the last of the behemoth Japanese battleships. They had been built as a result of the Japanese Navy’s strategy to build a navy that was qualitatively better than the US Navy. Japan went to extraordinary lengths to conceal the building of the vast new battleships.

Compared to US battleships with their 16-inch guns, the Yamato and Musashi, each sporting nine 18.1-inch guns, twelve 6.1-inch guns and batteries of smaller caliber armaments, were fearsome weapon systems. Each 18.1-inch gun weighed 162 tons and their turrets, with 26-inch armor weighed 2,774 tons, more than many destroyers. Shells weighing 1.5 tons could be fired every forty seconds to a distance of twenty-six miles. The force of fire of one of these guns was enough to severely injure or kill a man standing nearby.

On October 24, 1944 the convoy, led by the Yamato and the Musashi, cross the Sibuyan Sea in front of the coastline of Cajidiocan/Sibuyan Island. Around 08:00 on 24 October, the Center Force was spotted and attacked entering the Sibuyan Sea by VF-20 squadron Hellcat fighters, VB-20 Helldiver bombers, and VT-20 Avenger torpedo bombers from USS Enterprise of Halsey's Third Fleet.

After the Musashi opens the fire against the American pilots it was given by order to concentrate the fire on the Musashi to bring her down to the seabed.

The final attack ended on October 24, 1944 at 1530 and the Japanese Battleship MUSASHI suffered hits by:

19 direct hits by torpedoes
17 bombs
and 18 near misses

at 1915
Efforts to correct the worsening list failed, and Inoguchi, the Rear Admiral of Musashi, gave the order to "standby to abandon ship" ;
by this time, the list was at 15 degrees.

Immediately after this order, Inoguchi retired to his cabin with the intention to go down with the ship;
He was never seen again.